Health Insurance Consumer Protections
THE SECURITY YOU GET from Health Insurance Reform
- No Discrimination for Pre-Existing Conditions
- Insurance companies will be prohibited from refusing you coverage because of your medical history.
- No Exorbitant Out-of-Pocket Expenses, Deductibles or Co-Pays
- Insurance companies will have to abide by yearly caps on how much they can charge for out-of-pocket expenses.
- No Cost-Sharing for Preventive Care
- Insurance companies must fully cover, without charge, regular checkups and tests that help you prevent illness, such as mammograms or eye and foot exams for diabetics.
- No Dropping of Coverage for Seriously Ill
- Insurance companies will be prohibited from dropping or watering down insurance coverage for those who become seriously ill.
- No Gender Discrimination
- Insurance companies will be prohibited from charging you more because of your gender.
- No Annual or Lifetime Caps on Coverage
- Insurance companies will be prevented from placing annual or lifetime caps on the coverage you receive.
- Extended Coverage for Young Adults
- Children would continue to be eligible for family coverage through the age of 26.
- Guaranteed Insurance Renewal
- Insurance companies will be required to renew any policy as long as the policyholder pays their premium in full. Insurance companies won't be allowed to refuse renewal because someone became sick.
The very thought of paying astronomical costs to avail of necessary medical care is enough to frighten anyone. In fact, most people dread the very thought of falling ill and therefore being forced into paying huge doctor’s bills. However, illnesses can strike at any time and without warning and this is when you understand the benefits of having adequate health insurance coverage. You should not of course fall into the trap of believing that just because you and your family members are in the pink of health that you can continue without getting health insurance coverage.
Health Insurance a Necessity, Not An Expense
The fact of the matter is that proper health insurance coverage is more of a necessity than an expense. No doubt, people don’t fall every day and so there is no real need for health insurance coverage for most days of the year. However, when illness strikes it can be serious and treatment can be expensive and end up breaking your bank balance or at least makes a severe dent in your savings.
Of course, there is also no need to pay more than is absolutely necessary for your health insurance coverage and so you need to pick and choose your insurance policy with great care to ensure that you get the proper health insurance coverage at the best rates. This means getting as many quotes as possible from different health insurance providers, which allows you to compare quotes for similar coverage and finding the most affordable coverage.
Having the proper health insurance coverage will always prove its worth at those times when you are not expecting anything to go wrong. Many times, just when you think that paying for health insurance coverage is a complete waste of money something serious might occur that will show you that you were actually considering the wrong option in giving up your existing health insurance coverage. Therefore, it pays to pay the premium and not need to worry about paying high medical bills that will affect you whenever you or your family members become ill without warning.
Individual health insurance coverage is generally costlier than group health insurance coverage and you need to be careful in choosing individual policy. This form of insurance coverage is especially beneficial for people that are not employed and so who will not be able to enjoy the benefit of employer based health insurance coverage.
Companies that Sell Health Insurance to Individuals
American Republic Insurance Co. - 800-247-2190 - High-deductible plans available
Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Noridian) - 800-342-4718 - High-deductible plans available
Companion Life (Association Group) - 800-446-1223 - High-deductible plans available
Heart of America Health Plan (HMO) - 800-525-5661
John Alden Life Insurance Co. - 800-800-1212 - High-deductible plans available
Medica Insurance Co. - 800-836-6852 - High-deductible plans available
Time Insurance Co. - 800-800-1212 - High-deductible plans available
World Insurance Co. - 800-786-7557 - High-deductible plans available
Go to independent insurance agent to learn about getting insurance coverage for all American's, insurance eligibility and health insurance cost.